This high-utility, high-quality cutlery set comes gift boxed with an 8-inch chef’s knife, 6-inch utility knife, and a 3-1/2-inch paring knife. Made in Japan, the knives feature VG-10 high-carbon stainless-steel blades with 16 layers of stainless alloy for their Damascus clad appearance. A beautiful line of cutlery, this pattern features the look and benefits of Damascus steel, yet without rusting problems. The blade profile of these knives reduces sticking and results in less damage to the food being cut, as well as faster prep times. Stainless-steel end caps and traditional ergonomic offset bolsters add to their utility, and black laminated PakkaWood handles give the knives maximum user comfort. Handwashing provides best care and the set comes backed by a lifetime warranty.
From the Manufacturer
Shun Classic Cutlery
Why Buy Shun Classic:
Born of the ancient samurai-sword-making tradition and hand-finished for precision and beauty, Shun Classic is an ideal choice for anyone buying their first Japanese knife or 50th. The high-quality line of cutlery makes a worthwhile addition to any chef’s arsenal of tools–it’s used by professional chefs and home cooks alike. Produced in the widest variety of specialized styles, the Classic line features both traditional European blade shapes and innovative cutting-edge designs.
Shun Classic’s amazingly sharp blade is famous for both edge retention and ease of sharpening. Each blade has a core of VG-10 “Super Steel” with a Pattern Damascus cladding of 32 layers of high-carbon stainless steel–16 layers on either side. While the wood grain pattern enhances the knife’s beauty, it also adds durability and stain resistance, and reduces friction when cutting.
NSF certified for use in commercial kitchens.
- Blade core consists of high-carbon VG-10, a Japanese super steel known for its edge retention, allowing the knives to hold their sharp edges for years.
- Blades boast a 16-degree angle, making these the sharpest knives out of the box. This is sharper than traditional European blades, which are usually sharpened to 20-22 degrees.
- Clad with 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 Pattern Damascus stainless steel on each side for strength and flexibility. This metal is corrosion-resistant and easy to maintain.
- Damascus styling adds to the beauty of the knife while the microscopic air pockets created by the cladding process reduces friction during slicing.
- D-shaped handle fits in the palm and provides comfort and control, keeping the knife’s handle secure in the hand during use.
- Available standard in D-shaped handle styles or by special order in reverse D-shaped handle styles.
- Pakkawood handles, made of resin-impregnated hardwood, are NSF Certified for use in commercial kitchens.
- Produced in Seki City, Japan, the capital of samurai sword manufacturing.
- Rockwell hardness rating of 60-61 ensures that it takes and holds its incredibly sharp edge longer.
- Hand wash and dry recommended; limited lifetime warranty.
|Blade Material:||VG-10 hardened Japanese steel cutting core, clad with 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 Pattern Damascus stainless steel on each side, for a total of 33 layers of metal.|
|Cutting angle:||16 degrees per side (comprehensive angle 32 degrees). This is sharper than European knives, ground to 20-22 degrees per side.|
|Handle Material:||PakkaWood (resin-impregnated hardwood); D-Shaped handle available in right and (by special order) left-handed versions.|
|Sharpening recommendations:||Weekly honing to maintain the blade, sharpening as needed with professional sharpener or Asian-style electric sharpener.|